Wednesday, October 1, 2014


Welcome Facing History Alumni...and interested guests, or inquisitive visitors!

This "blog" is a part of a mission to promote Upstandership as introduced to our students who have taken the course Facing History and Ourselves: Facing History and Ourselves' Homepage 

I'd like to have anyone who has participated in this course to introduce themselves, and reconnect to former classmates, and hopefully meet some new friends online!

Please keep in mind that this is an extension of New Haven Public Schools, and by participating in this blog, for those of us who are employed by NHPS or students, we must adhere to their guidelines regarding acceptable use of electronics and internet policies. 


My name is David Senderoff. I have been teaching FHAO for four years. I was introduced to the curriculum when I transferred to New Haven Academy. As a teacher, I found the training offered me a lot of ways to get students to connect to how people's actions, or in-actions, have consequences. I also believe that through teaching FHAO, I have been a part of a process that motivates students to stand up for themselves, in both large and small ways. 

I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone who has participated in this course, and I encourage everyone to introduce themselves, talk about their experience, and together we can come up with ways to extend what we have experienced to life after the class has ended. 

Best Wishes,   

Dave S. 


3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I am a New Haven Academy alumna, class of 2014. Along with many things that I loved about NHA, Facing History and Ourselves is the one that my current professors always ask about. They are constantly impressed with my ability to think critically, empathetically, and historically when it comes to social issues. The FHAO curriculum prepared me for the types of in-depth and mindful discussions I have in college, and I sincerely hope that current students take advantage of the special thinking that comes along with a FHAO background. And, as a college student who is learning the ways of networking the world, I would love nothing less than to give back to my high school and assist in networking for my previous teachers and current NHA students. I already have my foot in the door with some pretty amazing people that I feel could strongly benefit the futures of both New Haven Academy and Facing History and Ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Cynthia, I attended New Haven Academy as part of the class of 2014. Facing History was definitely my favorite class and was a major part of my high school career. I took the discussions and ideas of class very seriously which led to my part in NHA's Facing History Council. I was in the council all four years of high school and our goal was to take the themes we learned in Facing History and try to make a difference in our community. I also attended a Facing History conference in Memphis, Tennessee my junior year (2012). While in Memphis my Facing History teacher, Meredith Gavrin, and I were part of a panel to discuss teaching techniques in urban school systems. Subsequently, Facing History is a major part of helping me develop as a student by asking me to analyze and respond to the best of my ability as well as helping me develop personally by giving me a reason to speak out in class and become an opinionated independent thinker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments! I've been grading a lot this week as progress reports are due! Hope your Freshman year is enlightening and enjoyable! Miss you all and come by over Thanksgiving or Winter break if possible! Dave S.

    ReplyDelete